Friday 1 June 2012

Yes, I did it!!!!!

I did it, I did it, I did it.

and I am overwhelmed with proud!

As I mentioned in another post this week, the last painful step of a treatment I was going through was yesterday. Although I have managed a lot of injections and overcame a lot of fears, there was still this one last step to be made.

It involved general anaesthetic and I was concerned. Who wouldn't?

I did it, and all went well. I am home already!

On my way home yesterday I couldn't even think about how much I did in the last 4 weeks. Every time I stopped to think about that I would become overwhelmed with emotion....

So be sure, whatever you fear, you can overcome too. Your body and you are much stronger than you think!!!!!

achievement, self-improvement, be a winner, podium

If you are reading this post, you may be interested in how I managed it.

Well, I didn't have a conscious plan, I just had the determination that I had to do this.
However, looking back now, I think few things helped me. So I thought by writing here I could also help other people who may face a situation that looks bigger than what they think they can handle. 

1. I realised I had to do this because it was necessary.

2. I was aware of the whole process, but somehow I divided into stages and focus on getting to the next stage, rather than the end of the process.

3. When one day the situation was very difficult, I asked for help. And I also did a session of relaxation and visualised the outcome I expected - a way to experience the good results.

4. I focused on the help and good things I received, communicating to the people who helped me how much I appreciated their kindness.

5. Every time I had to inject myself, I focused on the preparation of the injection and made sure I was as precise as possible. I created also a routine of steps. So my mind focused on that rather than on the fact that I was going to have an injection.

6. Only twice I hesitated, and on both occasions I stepped back and calmed down by agreeing inside my head that I was doing something for my own good.

7. I played my piano a lot. I did this because to play the piano I need to focus on the music only. I can't think of anything else, otherwise I make mistakes. In this way, when anxious thoughts were upsetting me, I played piano. This gave me an opportunity to rest my mind.

8. The hospital is more than 1 hour from my home. And I was concerned about yesterday's trip back. During the return trip my worries were causing me to stress. At one point I realised I need a focus for my mind, to occupy it with something and replace my thoughts. So we played a game: to take turns and say one positive word with each letter of the alphabet. I said something with A, my husband with B and so on. Then we went on for a list of animals with each letter of the alphabet, etc. It helped. So, if you think you need to replace some thoughts, try to think of a game or a task you can do with what you have available. The other good thing is that a game can also cause laughter, and that will help too :)

9. In the beginning, every time I did an injection, I stayed quiet in my bed for about 20-30 minutes, giving myself time to relax before going on with the day.

10. I was optimistic about the results. Because to be strong and do the task in hand, I had to think it would work.


Well, I shared here what I learnt, I hope it will be useful for other people too.

achievement, winner, be a winner, self improvement, self-help


No comments:

Post a Comment